Above left: image dated September 1921 from newspaper. Right: postcard dated 1925

Benhall’s Memorial is situated in the grounds of St. Mary’s Church, Deadman’s Lane, Benhall. It is made of Portland stone and is in the form of a Celtic Cross on a two stepped base. It is engraved on one side only. It was unveiled on 4th September 1921 by Major-General W.E.B. Smith and the Rev. L.B. Delap.

It lists the names of the Fallen:

A.BICKER              J.A. KEARSEY

A.BURROWS       A.L.LYON

T.W.CABLE           E.MANN

F.CABLE                H.MANN

W.G.CLOUTING   G.MARKHAM

S.COOK                 E.PAYNE

J.F.B.DELAP          E.C.PENDLE

E.EDMUNDS        A.SALTER

A.HAMMOND      R.SAUNDERS

              A.SPALDING

From Suffolk Chronicle, 9th September 1921

BENHALL MEMORIAL CROSS

The unveiling and dedication of the Benhall War Memorial took place on Sunday afternoon in the presence of a large congregation, which included many ex-Service men of the parish and district.

The first part of an impressive service was held in the church, and was conducted by the Vicar (the Rev. L.B. Delap), who gave an inspiring address, basing his remarks on the words: “Behold this stone shall be witness unto us.” These words were uttered, the preacher said, at close of Joshua’s great campaign. The conquest was won, and he called his countrymen together to make a covenant and set up a stone as witness. They also had me, that day to set up a stone, which, in the first place, was to the Glory of God, who had endued with courage from on high the men who had fought and fallen. It testified to loving and grateful remembrance of those who gave their lives that we might live, and was witness for living inspiration lest the great principles placed in the forefront during the war should be forgotten. It was a war to give the death-blow to oppression and wrong, and a war to end all war. 

The War Memorial can clearly be seen to the right of the church in this postcard

From Suffolk Chronicle (continued)

These stones set up in all parts of the country would stir up noble energies, and be a call to dedicate ourselves to nobler and better things, to serve God, and help to build a better country. The stone was also a witness bringing comfort, and was an emblem of good over evil, and life over death. 

The congregation, preceded by the ex-Service men and members of the families of the fallen, then assembled near the cross in the churchyard, which was unveiled by Major-General W.E.B. Smith, C.B., C.M.G., and dedicated by the Rev. L.B. Delap. 

Major-General Smith recalled that over 100 men of the parish took part in the struggle, and that nineteen of them had laid down their lives. It was a record of which any parish in the kingdom might feel supremely proud.

Only those conversant with the methods of the enemy could imagine the horrors if he had been triumphant, and it was due to the loyalty and devotion of such men as the fallen, who stood firm even until death, that the enemy had not been victorious. There was a debt to the fallen which could not be repaid, but the memory of the men must ever be kept greene. One way in which this could be done was to stand by their surviving comrades and seek their welfare. 

The service concluded with the sounding of the “Last Post,” followed by the “Reveille,” by Band-Sergeant R. Peskett (Leiston), and the singing of the National Anthem.

The cross is of the Celtic design, in Portland stone, 11ft in height, and stands on rising ground near the principal entrance to the church. 

It contains the inscription:- “To the Glory of God and in grateful remembrance of the men of this parish who fell in the war 1914-1918,” and the names of the fallen soldiers.

Research shows that there are some discrepancies on the memorial, with incorrect names stated and others who have been omitted. Hopefully these have been addressed in the History Group’s book:

Commemorating the Fallen of Benhall & Sternfield – The Great War WWI.

If you know of any other inconsistencies then please contact the History Group on: benhallsternfieldhistory@gmail.com.